I think everyone should have a scrappy scarf project on the go why?....
- It's one of those easy just pick up and put down projects you can do when you are watching TV, reading, chatting to friends.
- It's a great stash buster.
- It's a great way to practise your knitting if you are a beginner, straight forward easy garter stitch.
- No joining of ends just tie and trim for a lovely fringed edge.
- It will keep someone warm this coming winter, donate it to your favourite charity or give it to someone you care about.
- If you are enjoying making it and don't want to stop, continue and make a lovely warm shawl, and if at this stage you still haven't satisfied your scrappy making cravings continue on to make a lap rug/blanket just cast off when you have the size you want.
How I made mine
Two long circular knitting needles size 4mm
Cast on 300 stitches
knit to end of row cut yarn leaving a long tail
join new yarn leaving long tail knit to end of row cut yarn leaving long tail
continue like this until your scarf is the width you want.
My scarf measures
length 60 inches
width 5 inches
Yarn 100 grams
- If you would like a scarf with a uniform colour use the same shade on every alternate row, or every two or three rows, or two rows of the same shade, have fun play and experiment.
- Worried in case you don't have enough of a particular colour to complete a row? Try this... weigh your ball of yarn before and after you have worked a row to give you the number of grams you have used. Or if you can bear it pull out the last row and use this yarn as a yardstick to measure your little scraps. you could have a little stack of measured balls all sitting in a basket waiting to play.
- Tie your fringes each time they have a friend, if you leave it to the end they can get confused and tangled.
- To determine the number of stitches you need to begin, decide how long you want your scarf, cast on 25 stitches (or more for fine yarn) and work a four inch swatch in garter stitch, measure the number of stitches it takes for four inches then you will know how many you need for your required length.