Monday 30 March 2015

All Joined Up


Mystery Afghan Crochet Along

Clues six and seven  gave instructions for joining all the squares together using a twisted braided technique, we were given two weeks to do this which was just as well because I procrastinated quite a bit, should I go along with the way they were suggesting or use the much simpler flat braided join which I have used and liked before.

The pattern also stated  that different colours should be used for joining different area's of the Afghan.  I wasn't happy with this either I felt that it made the whole thing look too busy, so...



In the end this is what I came up with, I used only two colours to join the squares together and I started to use the braided join as suggested, this involved making lots of small balls of each joining colour and pulling it through each three chain space as you joined the squares here is the video which shows what I mean if you would like to take a look.


After joining only two rows of squares I had had enough! it was far too fiddly and time consuming for me and so I resorted to the flat twisted braid join which I know and like.  I honestly don't think that there is that much difference.

The top join is the one suggested and the bottom join is the one I preferred.




What do you think ? 

I bet you are thinking I should have pulled it out and done it all the same! and I would have done, but I put it to the test and took it to work where I asked several people if they could tell the difference and most said, only once I had pointed it out AND they all said the flat join was neater and not as bulky as the one suggested.

I'm happy with it and I am relieved that the loopy bits have been caught up with the border I think it gives a lovely effect. 

The next clues are for making the border which disappoints me a little because I'm still not sure about those middle bits I have a feeling I may change them or add to them in some way, any suggestions? 

What does this tell you about me probably something you have already realised..I'm a very lazy crocheter and will take short cuts if I can find them, that's why I love crochet so much it's very forgiving any changes or mistakes can easily be blended in so that they are hardly noticed. :)


Have a great week! 

Linking with....

Handmade Monday

Creative Tuesday

Eyeloveknots

Link and Share Wednesday

Lunamon Design

Stash-busters please link up your last minute March projects and leave me your totals if you are counting.

 The April Stash link Party will be up and running and your February favourites revealed on the Ist April.









 photo e69a549e-0e33-465a-b88b-a6ebe916eaaa_zps34480328.jpg

26 comments:

  1. I think it looks brilliant, love the braided join you did as ties all the squares together better than being plain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this has been a lot of twisting and turning - pun partially intended!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous ! Gorgeous ! Gorgeous !!!!!!!!
    Have a lovely week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually thought about doing this CAL, then after reading comments on FB, I follow The Crochet Crowd too. I decided to be an even lazier crocheter, waited and waited and glad I did not. Everyone seemed not to like certain parts, mainly the middle "Blob" and then the joining. Your tweeks will make an absolutely gorgeous piece. Can't wait to see you finished work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's looking great, Linda!! And your joining selection is just perfect !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks absolutely incredibly difficult and gorgeous and wouldn't change a thing. I'm a lazy crocheter. I will always take the easy way out. If a pattern seems too difficult, I won't even give it a try. That joining method sounds tedious either way you do it but looks great. You are amazing! Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful, Linda :-) I never started mine, but I don't think I will. It's too complicated for me; I'm a lazy crocheter, too. I like simple. The flat braid join is one of my favorites, and I'm glad you were able to use it instead of the one you didn't like. Hmm, those middle bits do look like they could use something. Buttons, perhaps? Or add a couple petals to make them look more like flowers? Whatever you come up with will be lovely, I'm sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's gorgeous, love the colour combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great. I have been following. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is really beautiful Linda. As a crocheter I can see just a tad difference, but it looks fine. I haven't started mine yet (Duh). But I'm not going to put the circle thing in the middle.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blanket looks so pretty and honestly, I can't tell the different in the two different joining methods. Maybe in person you could see it, but I can't in the photos. I think the blanket looks great the way it is, but if you really wanted to do something maybe do a tie in the center of the flower like they do on quilts? A pale yellow to contrast with the blues and purples? Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be lovely. Have a great day! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute blanket! I don't think you are a lazy crocheter at all!! I think you are quite ambitious. If you are lazy, what am I?? Gah. Don't answer that! Just go back and look at your blanket with the gazillion purple squares when you start thinking you are lazy. No lazy crocheter could do that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this is really stunning and beautiful Linda! You did a great job and what a lot of work. Have a wonderful afternoon, week and Easter!
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's not being lazy, it's called using your initiative!!! Just for the record, I can't tell the difference between the two joins. It looks wonderful and I will look forward to the final border. How about a tiny button in the centre of each?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you are amazing to stick with this. I would have given up in week one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's beautiful! I'm a lazy crocheter too. But let's not think of it that way. We're just economical with our time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is looking so beautiful, Linda. I agree that your joining method looks better. And I laughed with your comment about being a "lazy crocheter"..because I am the same way too. I always try to find the easy way of making things. Crochet is supposed to be fun, not a chore ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic, gorgeous!!!
    Happy week.:*

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wouldn't say lazy as this is a beautifully made blanket. I am so impressed with the design and colors and the way you put it together. It's really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did the right thing to just use the join you are familiar with. It looks great and there's no noticeable difference in the joins. I think I must be a lazy crocheter too - there's no point wasting time on some fancy method when a simpler method gives just as good results.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, it looks great! I love the join you used, it looks very nice and neat. Lazy is good sometimes, I'm a laze crocheter too. I just do what I already know will work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is beautiful! I prefer your join, I think the join they used is fine for a bold colourful throw, I am lazy too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for joining my link party :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's such a beautiful blanket :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think it looks great! Always best to go with what you know and feel comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks great, and I agree with you the flatter join goes better with it. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx