Tuesday 4 February 2014

The Gentle Ripple How To

Thank you for all the lovely comments you left for the Gentle Ripple Shawl and for all the requests I got for the pattern.

 This is a simple ripple pattern it's called an eyelet ripple and is no way my own, I have seen lots of beautiful projects using the same stitch, but I couldn't find a precise pattern or tutorial that I could link back to so I have written it down here with a tutorial for those who are new to crochet or ripples.

For those of you who are old hands at rippling this first part is for you.
This is written in UK crochet terms.
***
We are using


 trebles = tr  ( US DC )
chains = ch

I used Double Knitting Wool and a 4.5 mm hook
It takes 280 grams of yarn.

I hate counting chains and usually just chain until I have the length I need and double it with a few more for a ripple, then I just keep working the first row until it's the length I need if there are too many chains it's easy to get rid of the excess, better too many than too few.

This shawl measures 44 inches or 112 cms if you want a precise chain count the pattern is a multiple of 9  and add 3 for the foundation row.  So for a shawl this size it would be a chain of 210 
***
Row 1 :  1 tr in 4th ch from hook, *1 tr in each of next 2ch, tr2tog over next 3ch, (leaving centre ch unworked) 1tr in each of next 2ch, (1tr, 1ch, 1tr) in next ch, repeat from*, end with 2 tr in last ch.  (change colour if you wish) 3ch turn.

Row 2 : 1tr in first tr, *1 tr in each of next 2 tr, tr 2 tog over next 3 sts, ( leaving previous rows tr2tog  unworked), 1tr in each of next 2tr, (1tr, 1ch, 1tr) in 1ch space, repeat from *  ending with 2tr in top of 3ch. 3 ch turn

Just repeat these two rows changing colours when you like until it is the length you require mine measured 48 cms, add tassels if you wish.

I remember my first ever ripple, I just didn't get it, it took me ages to understand the how to but once I did I fell in love with the ripple and it's become one of my favourite stitches, so for those of you who are new to rippling or working chevrons or zig zags whatever you like to call them, I hope this tutorial will help.

Read from *** to *** above or if you like make a sample piece first of 30 chains.


Foundation Row
Second Row

Phew I hope all that makes sense, just continue in this way until it's the length you want.

Just a quick note about loose ends, you can carry the yarn up the side of your work if you like and then do a row of dc/sc up the sides to hide them, or you can do as I did and cut them as you go leaving them quite long, I then tied them off in pairs, inserted tassels at the same point and just pulled the ends through with the tassel.



Have fun whatever you decide to do, if you do decide to make one of these I would love to see yours. :)

Any questions?..just fire away.





23 comments:

  1. Wow, wunderschön!
    Danke, für die ausführliche Anleitung! ;o)
    Liebe Grüße,*Manja*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic!
    I've had problems with ripple stitches - like you said - I just don't get it.
    I think I'll give this a go and try it again =D
    Thanks for the pattern (yours is LOVELY)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shawl !
    Thanks for the tutorial !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a pretty ripple Linda - thanks for sharing your tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Te ha quedado muy bonito!!!!
    muxusss

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tutorial :-) Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My Gosh....this is a wonderful tutorial Linda...thank you so much. I love it!
    This one is a keeper for sure.
    I finished my hexi blanket and I linked it up with your stash party...I hope it wasn't too late!
    xx Shari

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous Linda :) Thank you :) Shared!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful shawl and great tutorial! :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much!! I'm going to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like ripples with "holes" in them. This is a pretty pattern. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a clear and easy to understand tutorial Linda, thank you so much for all the time and effort you put into this. I have never even attempted this before so I will definitely be coming back to this post when I do x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous Linda, well done! Hugs, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, lovely. That looks more simple than the ripple I do (Lucy's one from Attic24). I want to try the very curvy French one from le monde de Sucrette, it's going to be a challenge as I always get the number of stitches wrong in the first row.

    I noticed you have a photo of sideways crochet socks. I tried to do them and they were the other way, and way too tight around the ankle, difficult to put on, and too long in the foot and I can't always be bothered struggling with them. I have a size 3 foot too. Any links about the socks? Most links seems to be for large feet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I forgot to say I love the colours on the ripple and thought your tutorial was easy to follow. I have just read your ideas for the fringing incorporating the ends. Really good tip! Do you have a link for the little garter stitch neck tie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice comments Campfire, the link for the neck tie was in the post it's here
      http://people.delphiforums.com/knit_chat/knitchat/patterns/bowscarf.htm
      The links for the socks, http://crochetnmore.com/sockschild9.htm
      The pattern is for kids socks, just measure your foot and adapt the stitches to suit, you can keep trying your work as you go to ensure you get the correct width. Good luck with the ripple. :)

      Delete
  16. I've had problems with ripple stitches - like you said - I just don't get it.
    I think I'll give this a go and try it again
    Thanks for the pattern
    Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely shawl Linda, ripples are one my favourites to do and your tutorial is so easy to understand

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice photo tutorial. The drawings with the arrows are so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is just lovely Linda. Great choice of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this gentle ripple Linda, you did a great job explaining it. Thank you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, what a beautiful, beautiful shawl, Linda!! ♥ Lovely colors and ripples, great. Thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx