Wednesday 10 September 2014

Orva Scarf

The scarf making frenzy continues for CHAS and I have to say I'm quite enjoying the process of trying out new patterns and using up yarn I've had for years and have not known what to do with.

THE ORVA SCARF
scarves,crochet,easy,Orva scarf

Made with a very easy stitch which just flows and leaves a very nice texture

PATTERN
Abbreviations
Written in UK and US terms
dc = double crochet UK terms  
sc = single crochet US terms 
ch = chain
sk = skip

Use any Yarn and hook size of choice, the larger the hook the lacier the design. 
For this scarf I used 155 grams of Dk yarn and a size 5mm hook..
The pattern is in multiples of 4 add 3 extra for starting chain.

PINK SKINNY SCARF
UK terms
Chain 27
Foundation Row
1st row - 2 dc, in 4th ch, 2ch. 2 dc in next ch,** sk next 2ch, 2 dc  in next ch, 2ch, 2 dc in next ch** rep from ** to ** to last 2 ch, sk next ch, 1 dc in last ch, 3ch turn.

2nd row - (2 dc,2ch,2 dc) in each 2 ch sp to end, 1dc in 3rd turning ch, 3ch turn.

Repeat 2nd row until required length is obtained.

US terms
Chain 27
1st row - 2 sc, in 4th ch, 2ch. 2 sc in next ch,** sk next 2ch, 2 sc in next ch, 2ch, 2 sc in next ch** rep from ** to ** to last 2 ch, sk next ch, 1 sc in last ch, 3ch turn.

2nd row - (2 sc,2ch,2 sc) in each 2 ch sp to end, 1 sc in 3rd turning ch, 3ch turn.

Repeat 2nd row until required length is obtained.



I used this lovely pink pearly bumpy type anonymous yarn with no label, it is such a pretty colour, not enough for a complete scarf so contrasted with white to come up with the required 5 foot length.


 Then I made another with this angora look alike yarn...

I haven't a clue how old it is it was donated to me by an elderly lady and she had had it stashed away in her cupboard for several years.

 But I must say it does make a lovely soft scarf and the colour is much nicer than is shown in the photo's

This is a wider scarf I used a starting chain of 31 and a 6mm hook, it used 122 grams.






I have named this the Orva Scarf in memory of a dear friend, I was making this when it would have been her birthday and she was very much in my mind.  Her name wasn't Orva and I would have used her own name but there seems to be lots of Lydia scarves out there already. The name Orva means special friend which she certainly was, so I think she would have approved :)


Hope you are all having a great week!


 photo e69a549e-0e33-465a-b88b-a6ebe916eaaa_zps34480328.jpg

16 comments:

  1. Both beautiful !!!
    Have a nice day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely scarves and lovely stitch !! Thanks for sharing !! That's so nice of you to remember your friend in such a beautiful way:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're both very nice Linda. I like the look of the stitch pattern - it's pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the pattern. I've saved it to make later. It looks easy enough for a beginner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never easy to lose a good friend that is for sure. Love your beautiful scarves, your heart is so generous my friend.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful textured scarves. What a great friend you are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're so pretty, Linda. They look very soft and warm. I love that you named it for your special friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely -and a fitting tribute to a special friend. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful scarves, Linda! Thanks for sharing your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful scarves!!!
    Greetings.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty patter and love that you've named it after a dear friend. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. A cor escolhida e a delicadeza do ponto fizeram um trabalho muito bonito.
    abraço
    Nélia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty scarf Linda :) I think your friend would love the sentiment behind the name and the lovely scarf :) I'm very sorry for your loss. Hugs, Rhondda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lov e the texture of these scarves and what a beautiful name. thanks for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely texture to this stitch Linda and what a great way to use up your bits of stash with these lovely soft scarves x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic, Linda!! Both scarves are looking great ♥. Thanks for sharing & have a cozy evening :D
    Nata xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx