Friday 2 July 2021

This And That

This week has gone so fast I have to think back to try and remember what I have done each day, nothing of great interest it has to be said. 

The u3a website was down for a few days and it was literally a nightmare to try and get it up and running again, it involved trying to get in touch with the person who had set the website up in the beginning in order to get access to the account area so that I could update a payment card, I needed the card details from the treasurer a simple thing you would think but no, the people involved were on holiday, there were a lot of emails going back and forth before it was sorted.

 The weather wasn't that great on Wednesday which is my long walk day, the solution was to go and visit the MetroCentre, my friend Baz has never been there before which I find amazing really the place was opened in 1986 and it's not that far away. 


I wasn't going to shop I'm not really a great shopper if I need something then I will go search for it but I won't shop just for the sake of it, dare I say it ...it bores me! I went there purely for the exercise because that place is huge, I lie because I was also going for coffee and lunch any excursion is only worth embarking upon if there is coffee and maybe food in the offing. 

All objectives were achieved, coffee was drank, lunch was eaten AND we walked over 10,000 steps without getting wet, Baz saw the place for the first time I asked him what he thought his reply....it's huge!! I don't think he will be bothered about going again. Having to wear a mask all day wasn't great either but we were indoors and they are the rules.

Last weeks walk was in Herrington Country Park which is just a 10 minute drive away from me and The Penshaw Monument is just over the road.

It's hard to believe this park sits on what was previously Herrington coal mine which closed in 1985, work on the park began in 1996.



The park itself is lovely to walk around and is skirted by plentiful wooded area's to get lost in should the mood take. 








We came upon this beautiful cemetery, some of the gravestones date back to 1854.





We eventually crossed over the road but not to walk up to the monument, I have done so in the past and it's a very steep climb I'm not sure this much older body would manage it now but I will try it sometime maybe at the start of the walk when I have more energy.


It was to sit in the café garden and have that much deserved coffee, you can just see the monument in the background as you sit there


 

I can't believe it's July already my favourite month of the year is June and it's gone,  I'm always sad when June has ended because it's the start of fresh new summer growth and the promise of  warm summer days, all things seem possible, by the time July arrives half of the year is over already.

Last month for the first time in too many years to count I didn't pick up a hook or a knitting needle, it felt so strange not to have some project to work on but I'm not in the mood, my mojo has gone right out of the window nothing seems to be inspiring me. We will see what July will bring.

I have however kept up with my personal challenge of completing a month of my cross-stitch 12 days of Christmas each month, only three more months to go!


Have a great week.




13 comments:

  1. A nice blog, considering you had nothing to report! Lovely photos, as always. Haven't been to the Metro Centre for years but, like you, I'm not one for shopping either. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same as you when it comes to shopping, I'd much prefer a walk in that lovely park than the Metro Centre, but at least you still managed a walk and kept dry. I've lost my crafting mojo a bit over the past month, it seems to be just returning again now, you're way ahead of me with the stitching now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful reclamation of the Herrington coal mine. And what gorgeous grave stones. What a find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful it is there, so nice to walk there, and how old the gravestones are!!! Haha, I also haven't crocheted or knitted anything this entire month of June.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been on some nice walks Linda and I enjoyed looking at the photos. I can't believe it's July already too. I hope you have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you, skip the shopping centers unless it is lousy weather for walking. Like you, I much prefer the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is hard to believe the year is half over!!! Your walks and views are so beautiful. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pictures in different place and with different proposals !
    Have a nice week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. The park is lovely to walk around and I love the pictures,so beautiful.
    The Nineth cross stitch looks so cute, great job
    Have a wonderful new week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had a lovely walk around the park. The pictures are beautiful. Cross stitch is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not keen on shopping, even less so now masks have to be worn.
    Give me a walk in the park any day :)
    Your photographs are lovely.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gone are the days when I used to scour the shops for clothes or shoes. I used to easily spend a day looking for something new to wear and enjoyed doing that. I don't now at all and like you it totally bores me! I prefer to look on google find what I want and go direct to the shop to pick it up or check it out and buy it. I am crowd shy too so I turn around and go home if there are too many people and this was pre-Covid. Beautiful park and a wonderful conversion from a mine and allowing nature to take over again. As it should be! Thoroughly enjoyed these photos, it is a stunning place to go for a walk or walk and picnic. Thanks for sharing. keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the little moments of everyday life.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx