Friday 10 September 2021

Crochet Wind Spinner's and some Bits and Bobs

How do the days go so fast? I can't believe that it's three weeks since I posted, the days seem to be flying by in a flurry of u3a activities and catching up with friends that I haven't seen since before the pandemic.

I have also got my crocheting mojo back big time to the extent that I can't seem to decide what to turn to first I have three crochet projects on the go at the moment and this is one of them...

 It appears that wind spinners seem to be trending all over social media at the moment, I just happened upon one as I was browsing   I was immediately intrigued because just days before, my metal wind spinner had broken and I had thought I need a replacement I never thought of making a crochet one.


Another thought that sprung to mind was what a pity I hadn't thought of this at the start of Summer because the weather is changing, Autumn is definitely in the air and I'm not sure how these will fare in bad weather.

But for now I am smitten and can't seem to stop making them, they are great stash busters and I'm sure all my family and friends would love one of these, even if they have to put them away until next Spring.


This is just a small sample of what I've made some have already found new homes and I forgot to take photos before they were given away. 

I though of having these as a mystery project for the ladies in my crochet class, some of them are worried in case they have forgotten the basic stitches and any new comers will get lots of practice making a long chain and then working the other stitches into it.

There are lots of free patterns and YouTube tutorials I'll put links to them right at the end of the post, you can make them your own by adding beads, tassels or pompoms.

I am using up my chunky yarn stash for these at the moment because it makes a firmer fabric and the discs aren't as floppy.  If there isn't enough yarn to complete all the rounds I make a smaller one like this one here..

35 grams of chunky yarn    (UK TERMS)

4mm crochet hook

Make a 70 chain, break and tie off yarn

Beginning at the first chain, dc in each chain to end, break and tie off yarn.

Beginning  at the first dc of last row, 3tr in each dc, break and tie off yarn.

Beginning at the first tr of previous row 1 dc in each tr to the end break and tie off yarn.

make a tassel, pompoms add beads or anything that takes your fancy for the end of your spinner and attach it to the bottom.

Weave in all loose ends leaving two at the top to hang up your spinner. 


For the one above I used Aran weight cotton yarn and started with a 100 chain it took 55 grams. 

 MORE PATTERNS BELOW

Suzy's Wind Spinner - Easy And Quick Crochet Wind Spinner

Bits and Bobs

Wind spinners aside I'm also making baby hats and as always I quickly get bored using one pattern and will play about until I have another pattern that works, sometimes I forget to write it down but this time I have remembered, when I can find the time to convert it from scribble and write it on here I will do so. 
I'm also crocheting poppies because the knitting group have another display project in mind but more about that another time. 



Summer is waning and it's sad to see the lovely flowers in my garden slowly fading however although the stems are getting shorter my sweet peas have flowered their socks off this year, I'm getting two little bunches every three days or so which are filling the room with their lovely perfume and they cheer me up no end.


Another plant that is giving me lots of pleasure is this buddleia, it was a cutting which my brother gave me last year and was very small at the beginning of Spring, it is now about 8 feet tall and for months has just been a lot of floppy stems and leaves, I really thought it wasn't going to flower but then the first tiny flowers appeared and over just a few days those small flowers grew into large beautiful purple blooms. For the first few days I saw a few bees, then they increased in number but no butterflies, I was quite disappointed until a butterfly flew into my conservatory, I guided it back outside thinking you should be on the buddleia not here then I looked over and the whole bush was covered in beautiful butterflies, they love it and I love watching them.







I will be popping round and catching up with you all just as soon as I have washed the car and given my garden some attention, I should really do some housework too but for now the sunshine beckons. 

Have a great week.


20 comments:

  1. I've seen loads of photos of the crochet spinners, and because I'm not a great pattern follower, I've liked them but decided I could not make them. Your instructions above are so easy I'm going to have a go. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking of making a windspinner for a while so thanks for the pattern.I have already made mandalas mostly as a distraction from plastic pretend hedging.A couple of wind spinners will look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen crocheted wind spinners before, what a great idea, they really do look lovely and I'm sure they brighten up any spots up in the garden that need it. I haven't grown sweet peas since I gave up my allotment and I really miss them, they just don't do very well in my garden which is such a shame as they're great for cut flowers, their scent is delicious. I'm pleased the butterflies eventually discovered your buddleia, all different varieties too. I think I need one in my garden as butterflies have been scarce here this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pretty crocheted wind spinners you are making Linda. Such lovely photos of the flowers and butterflies. I hate to see summer ending and I will enjoy it still while I can. Linda, I hope you have a nice Friday and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the wind spinners. I had made lots out of plastic canvas years ago but after a few years the plastic became brittle and broke. Printing off the pattern so I can make lots ready for next year. Thanks for the pattern. Yours turned out lovely and look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The spinners are lovely. I'm very tempted to try and make one. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely wind spinners ! Thanks for the pattern !
    Lovely pictures and beautiful butterflies !
    Have a shinny weekend !
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda, thanks for the pattern, your wind spinners are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I want to make a wind spinner some day thanks to you. Not now. My focus is on getting rid of, but once that settles down, watch out world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I think the crocheted wind spinners look great :)

    So nice to see your colourful sweet peas and the butterflies on the buddleia.

    Enjoy these September days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those crochet wind spinners; how fun and lovely to have these pretties here and there in the yard. The fragrance of sweet peas is like no other. Lucky you to have enjoyed a vase or two every couple of days. Buddleias and butterflies...how beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful that the buddleias took off from just a cutting and is now drawing lots of attention. ;) I've seen that a couple of blog friends have posted patterns for the wind spinners and now here you are making them, too, so guess I need to give them a go. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Linda, how beautiful are your crochet wind spinners, hadn't seen them before, but I think it would be fun to make them.
    Glad your brother's buddleias are attracting so many butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm seeing crocheted spinners everywhere now, they are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those crochet wind spinners are really fun! I had never seen one before now.

    What gorgeous sweet peas, and the buddleia with butterflies is simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The wind spinners have become tremendously popular on the Random Acts of Crochet Kindness group and members have made smaller ones to drop off here and there for people to find. Yours are particularly lovely. As you say they are great for those oddments of yarn that get left over from makes. I have seen a few that have bells and bright charms on the tásele. One lady has even intertwined fairy lights to make one for Christmas. In fact there are so many extras that can be added to this basic pattern you have shared! Looking forward to seeing the hats you are making 😊. Keep well. Amanda 💐

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the sweet peas, they are my favorite flowers. And I love the wind spinners as well, such a fun craft. Sorry I haven't been around for a while, life got in the way of my blog visits.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this post was worth waiting 3 weeks for, its a lovely post.
    Can't thank you enough for the pattern for the wind spinners, I've never seen them before but can't wait to get some yarn and make one.
    Hugs
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Would they make up in dk do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes dk is fine but go down a hook size to make it firmer. x

      Delete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx