Wednesday 14 December 2022

A Brave Trip To The Dentist

 It's absolutely freezing here right know, it's the kind of weather where you just want to snuggle up under a warm blanket and stay indoors.  There was no way that I was going to venture outside unless I had to and as for driving my car in these icy conditions that was a definite no. So I had a dilemma because I had an appointment with the dental hygienist at 9am, there was no way that I was going to cancel.

I ventured to the dentist last week, for the first time in three years thanks to my lovely generous sons birthday gift (see previous post) It's amazing how differently they treat you when you are paying for private dental treatment, money certainly talks, you get an appointment almost immediately, more time is taken and each step is explained in detail, I have never had a more thorough dental checkup.

I was lucky, to my surprise I don't need any fillings, however I have two crowns and a bridge that needs replacing, not urgently but in the near future and a hygienist visit was a must.

On the morning in question I wrapped up warm and donned my new winter boots purchased in a sale at the end of the season last year...

and I bravely walked to the Dental Surgery, those boots are amazing I didn't slip on the ice once and when I got going I quite enjoyed the walk.

I was dreading the hygienist visit and I was a little embarrassed that my teeth were in such a state, past trips to the hygienist have been painful and have left my teeth quiveringly sensitive for days afterwards, have you ever had the pressure washer thing blasted into your mouth? the last time I had that my whole mouth was left numb, sore and tingling, my poor old teeth can't stand such an aggressive approach.

I needn't have worried, the hygienist was lovely, she didn't jump back in shock when she saw the state of my teeth but calmly reassured me and got on with the job of ridding my teeth of all the plaque build up and then polishing all the stains away and not a pressure washer in sight (that costs more apparently, but they can keep it haha) I can't say it was particularly pleasant but it's didn't hurt and it was all over in a matter of twenty minutes, I was even presented with toothpaste dental floss samples.

I came out of the dentists into the freezing still early morning air with a sense of great relief and do you know after being cooped up indoors I really didn't want to go straight home so I took the long way....

along the promenade

and then a walk along the beach almost totally deserted...





Those steps were treacherous I clung to the rails as I slowly made my assent, firstly because of the ice and secondly because I'm so out of condition I was breathless before I got even half way up!

At this stage I needed a coffee and had planned to have a coffee in the lovely coffee shop at the top of those steps but unfortunately it was closed so I crossed over the road and made my way through the woods...

I didn't take many photo's because I had to take my gloves off to take a photo and it was far too cold. 

I then settled at home with a nice cuppa coffee but not before I looking in the mirror at my sparkly clean teeth, they look almost white again and there's not a stain in sight.😊

6 comments:

  1. I'm getting more and more afraid of the dentist as I get older, though I've been lucky with my teeth and rarely need anything doing, it doesn't stop me worrying in the days before a check-up though. I'm glad you got your appointment, it seems you have to pay these days otherwise you don't get seen. Daniel and Jasmine came back to live in Leeds in January and they haven't been able to find a dentist who will accept NHS patients without a three year wait, it's madness. Yes, isn't it cold at the moment. Your new boots look toasty warm, I always think that if you've got warm feet then the rest of your body feels warm too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had a good trip to the dentist Linda. It always feels so good to have our teeth cleaned. I'm due for mine in January. I love the photos you took of your walk home. The beach looks so pretty this time of year. It looks like it was cold out with the dusting of snow. I hope you enjoy the rest of the week Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The seaside walk looks exactly like our undercliff walk down here in Brighton.
    I hate the hygienist, like you say, they usually hurt more than the dentist.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the visit to the dentist was alright. I'm going every year to the hygienist. No nhs dentist here in Portugal. We have to pay but the price are ok. 70 euros for the hygienist, 60 for a filling...
    Lovely pictures by the sea...
    Have a cozy day !
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pleased the dentist visit went well.
    Your boots look good and I did enjoy seeing your photographs.

    Have a lovely weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the seaside walk, great the dentist visit went well. Happy stitching and crocheting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx