Sunday 24 September 2023

Teds Poncho

 Thank you for all your lovely comments it's great to be back again and I'm going to try and blog more often, it may be easier now that Autumn is officially here and the garden is winding down, I'm a fair weather gardener and rarely venture out once the weather changes.  I'm looking forward to Spring already and have bought lots of Spring bulbs, I'm going to plant them in pots and will look forward to them emerging in the Spring, I still need to buy some crocus as well and these will be dotted about my lawn both front and back of the house. 

Teds Poncho

Have you heard of the Red Hatters?  click on the name if you haven't and it will take you to the Red Hatter site.  We have a Red Hatters group in our u3a which has just started up again since before Covid.  We have a few male members who don't mind wearing the obligatory red hat and purple clothing.  One of them is Ted and although he's in very poor health it is obvious that Ted wants to embrace life and throw himself into as many activities as his declining health allows. Ted approached me and asked me if I would crochet him a purple poncho, I think our upcoming outing to a Abba thank you for the music evening  triggered this request as poncho's were very much the thing in the 70's

Well we sat and pondered, time was short as I was in the middle of making things for my upcoming grandchild and charity makes, so it was decided that a granny square poncho would be the quickest to make. I made a few samples so that he could choose which pattern he wanted...


He chose number two and I started making it, but it soon became apparent that because of all the other stuff I was trying to make there was no way I would finish it in time, so I made the decision with Teds blessing that it would look much better if the patterned  squares were just around the edges and plain purple squares in the centre. 

 I could have approached my crochet group and asked for their help but as you must realise everyone's tension is different and for the poncho to look good the squares need to be the same size, however because time was short, Pamela who runs the knitting group as well as being as member of my crochet group insisted on trying to help and she made quite a few of the plain purple squares thank you lovely Pamela! 

I'm so pleased to say that we did it!!



It consists of 69, 6 inch squares - there are 116 tassels! yes I counted them and the ends that needed to be woven in were in their hundreds. 

I used Stylecraft special dk and it took 1000 grams.

I found this such a lovely project I love making granny squares don't you? 

Fingers crossed Ted will like it I will try and get a photo of him wearing it and show you with his permission of course. 

Have a great Sunday 😘😘

Linking with..

Slow Sunday Stitching


17 comments:

  1. Ted will look great in his red hat purple poncho! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last comment from gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poncho !!! Perfect for Fall !
    Have a nice week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks rather lovely. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely poncho, I am sure Ted will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really pretty shade of purple! How fun to have a man who is game to join in with the fun! I hope he likes his poncho.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely thing to do. Please do a follow up blog showing Ted wearing his poncho when out with the lovely Red Hat ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure Ted will like his poncho - it looks great :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know about the Red Hats. Ted will love that poncho!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous poncho and I really like that the pattern squares are just around the edge.
    I have Spring bulbs to plant in the garden and in pots too. They will look wonderful next year when they flower.
    B x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a wonderful looking poncho. Ted will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda, wow what a gorgeous poncho you made for Ted. He will love wearing his poncho and it'll keep him warm and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been buying lots of bulbs too, it's always so welcome to see some colour when spring arrives after the winter. Ted's poncho is fabulous, I love all the tassles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ted's poncho looks great Linda and I'm sure he loves it! I hope you got all your spring bulbs planted xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job done. Way to go! I really like the color of this poncho, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx