Sunday 7 January 2024

The First Week

 The first week of the year has been a week of putting away the Christmas decorations and tidying up.  Everything looks quite empty when the decorations have been put away don't you think? I'm always in the mood for buying something new at the beginning of the year and I'm afraid I've gone a bit over the top this year..

A new runner for the hall, please excuse the dark photos we are living in a grey world right now.

a new rug for the kitchen, something nice and bright to cheer me up.


I bought this photo from a very talented photographer in my u3a photography group a couple of years ago meaning to frame it but not ever getting around to it until now. I love this photo and I think it looks lovely on my wall now that it's framed. 


There have been other bits and pieces like storage containers and this wall hanging


A planter to cheer up my Rubber plant


All quite small and inexpensive items but it does lift the spirits a little to buy something new in this gloomy cold month of January but enough of the cheering up I think I must reign myself in.😉

I have made a start on the baby onesie, requested by my daughter-in-law 


  It's a lovely pattern to follow and very well explained by Simona Crochet on YouTube

This came in the post 
and I have made a start

The yarn for the red and green man socks requested by my friend has arrived and I'm itching to make a start this afternoon, it's so long since I made socks I'm getting quite excited at the thought haha


The flexi hoop arrived for my The Year of Doodles stitchery and it's now hanging in my conservatory..


I found it really hard to place this in the flexi hoop, trying to get it centred while at the same time trying to push the hoop in place it took me several attempts and I have to say I was quite worn out at the end of it, but I do love how this type of hoop keeps the fabric lovely and taught not a wrinkle or crease in sight, it may not be perfectly centred but please don't ask me to take it out and do it again I will live with the slight imperfection haha, if someone has the knack of using these hoops without all the drama I would love to know.😄

What else has happened this week? ah yes a routine trip to the dentist where I was told I need two crowns replacing they have worn through to the metal! so I have a 90 minute!! appointment scheduled for February, 90 minutes in a dental chair, how will I stand it. I'm putting it right out of my mind for now.

Wow so looking back this first week of the year has been quite eventful, next week all u3a activities recommence and I have things on everyday so I'm going to enjoy a peaceful relaxing Sunday afternoon working on my man socks, I hope your first week of the year has been a good one and you have a relaxing Sunday. 😘😘

11 comments:

  1. I was sad to take down all the decorations this week, I hate letting go of Christmas for another year, and as you say, everywhere looks so bare. I think you've done the right thing making a few purchases to cheer the place up, your runner and rug are lovely and colourful, sure to bring a smile to your face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new purchases. That runner is beautiful. The baby crochet is so pretty. Your latest embroidery project is fantastic. I look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the year of doodle stitching! Love that photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cozy home and lovely crafts to do !
    Have a nice week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great new rugs. I was also looking at rugs, but have yet to find anything I like. Great projects you are working on. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some lovely new pretties to add some cheer to your wintry and wet world, lovely Linda. Your framed Year of Doodles looks fabulous. No help from me how to tame the Flexi hoop beast. I always struggle, too. I look forward to seeing your pretty Woodland Blossoms grow. Enjoy knitting those socks. Such fun colours. I just know they will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's definitely fun to get some new things for the house, especially at this time of year. I love your Year of Blossoms embroidery! I'll have to check out that site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to seeing your new Woodland Blossoms embroidery as it grows. The picture looks lovely.
    A few new things for the house is always nice to bring a bit of cheer to January.
    Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like your hall runner and rug, they are so colourful.
    January is so often cold and grey so nice to cheer things up with a few purchases.
    You sound busy, so I'm sure January will whizz by.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, happy new year. It's a nice time of year to decorate and organize the house. The baby sweater is going to be beautiful when finished. I hope you enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the glimpse of some things in your home, Linda. :) I always love to put away the Christmas decor (not that I put up a lot), but yes! Where the tree stood looks so bare now - and it was taken down for three weeks now. I did enjoy the lights. Thanks for the picture of the flexi hoop. It doesn't appear that there is a way to tighten and loosen it like an embroider hoop has. I can imagine that was hard to get the fabric perfectly centered. But it looks lovely. I will enjoy watching this year's monthly stitch, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx