Thursday 4 April 2013

Fun with Granny Squares

We all love granny squares they are such fun to make and so versatile, you can play around with colour and size combinations.




Granny squares are another great way of using up your bits and pieces and the good thing about granny squares is you never forget how to make them so if you are sitting and at a loose end maybe even between projects not sure what to do next, get out your oddments of yarn and hook some of these little babies while you ponder on your next project.



I can guarantee you will find a use for them, have a special granny basket or bag and just place your squares in there once they are done, eventually you will have enough to make a Afghan, lap-rug or cushion.



Remember squares are also needed for a great number of charities




These square have gone to  Lily (love in the language of yarn) this great group is based in Turkey and Jordan, they join the squares into blankets for Syrian refugees Lily was founded by Dianne you can read more about their great work on her lovely blog  and on their Facebook page here                                                          





It was lovely to see that they have received my squares already, there they were, all beautifully photographed on the Facebook page it's nice to think that my ' what's left in the bag stash' will help someone who has had to flee from their home with only the clothes they stand up in. I will of course be making more because every square helps. :)





These are eight inch granny squares made with a 4.50 mm hook and they weighed in at 152 grams.


17 comments:

  1. Love the granny squares - so colorful and pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your granny squares are so cute ;) LILY looks like a great cause, and I have been looking into myself for one of my 'challenge' projects. Have a great day Linda! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea - to be able to turn your spare minutes into something which makes a difference for others. And I think these squares are beautiful :) Lorna x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this link, Linda.
    I had a good look at the FB page and it's a cause I'm going to have to find time to support.
    PS I spotted your squares!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Linda, Lovely wee granny squares. I am sure they will be much appreciated and Linda will create something wonderful with them. PS. Sorry for being so slow with getting the hang of the Stash Buster Challenge. I think I finally got it right with My recent post. Love to have you visit. Thanks Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Granny squares are so much fun to crochet! Yours turned out beautifully :) Lily sounds like a good cause, I will go and have a look at their blog and fb page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great cause, thanks for letting us know. I especially like the granny square with four little squares. Different, I have never seen that one before.

    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful squares,love the granny squares...:0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a good idea, Linda. I love the fact that you can just donate the squares, that it does not have to be a whole blanket. A great use of the stash! Your squares are just so bright and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely post, Linda! It si such a good cause to use the squares for! and yes, they have so many color possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a novice crocheter and granny squares were one of the first things I learned! I love them and I love your blog. Please stop by to see my blog if you get a chance, I would absolutely love a visit. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great post! I'm a novice crocheter and granny squares are one of the first things I learned to crochet. I absolutely love them and I love your blog. Please stop by to see mine if you get a chance, it's just a babe...up and running, and I'd love it if you could visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have just visited your blog Chris welcome to the world of blogging and thank you for your lovely comments :)

      Delete
  13. Thank you for all your lovely comments ladies :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely way to contribute! I have for years donated quilts to a variety of charities but so far have found no local charity that takes crocheted items -- I shall look harder because my cupboard is over flowing with granny squares!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your play with granny squares. I like tha colour combinations you used. Beautiful...and all for a good cause ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. ΠΟΛΥ ΟΜΟΡΦΑ ΣΧΕΔΙΑ!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx