Sunday 3 December 2023

Happy December!


My garden on the first of December what a lovely festive start to the month our first snowfall.

 I seem to be spending most of my time trying to keep up with the mosaic blanket CALs I'm busy with but I'm really enjoying the process, I could quite happily sit crocheting all day but life does tend to get in the way, wouldn't it be lovely if we could just sit with our hobbies and do nothing else.   I do tend to get carried away and it has to be said I am a messy worker especially when sewing. 

I have a few little sewing projects on the go at the minute most of them Christmas orientated. It's the decoration of things that cause the trouble I can never make up my mind, there is so much christmas bling to choose from and it's invariably the bling that makes the biggest mess, it usually ends up spread all over the place with the floor bearing the biggest brunt.  Then a friend will text is it ok if I pop round for coffee?  I know what you are thinking well if she/he is a real friend  they won't mind the mess! well, there is mess and then there is MESS. When this happens you see me hastily stuffing bits and pieces into bags and thrusting them out of the way into cupboards and then later I can't find anything.

I need to get a control of my life I know, take a deep breath and have a huge tidy up, put things in an allotted place then I'll always know where to find them, my intentions are good and I do that sometimes but strangely those items don't seem to stay in their allotted place for long I do believe that they are alive and come out to play at night. 

Anyway this is what is it I have been playing with.. 

Hearts

I'm not a great sewer, I do like to try, but sewing straight lines and getting perfectly curving edges are beyond my capabilities this wreath did test me somewhat, trying to get the hearts evenly spaced to make the circle seemed to take me forever but I think I managed it.


It doesn't need any bling because the fabric is very busy so I just added the bows and a tiny christmas tree shaped button in the center

Tree

The hardest part about making this tree was getting the stuffing right up to the top, I found that a knitting needle helped a lot. I can't decide whether to put a star on the top, what do you think?


Little Trees
These were fun to make and quite easy, in fact I may make more, they are lovely to gift and to hang all over the place really, I'm thinking about making a garland with them...



All of the above were started at my u3a sewing group, a great bunch of ladies but it has to be said there's usually more chatting than actual sewing taking place.  You can find out how to make all of the above online, in fact there is so much lovely Christmas stuff out there you are spoilt for choice.
The little trees above are similar to these here, but I stuffed mine and added a cinnamon stick for the trunk,

and finally my embroidery..

Almost there! I'm looking forward to sewing the December segment, I want to use traditional colours I'm busy sorting them as we speak.

I have lots of other things on the go but I'll leave them for another time.

The last month of the year already, how quickly this year has flown! How are your Christmas preparations going? do you put your decorations up early or wait to nearer to Christmas.  As I get older the time seems to pass more quickly and because of that I have started putting mine up earlier, it takes a lot of time and effort and so it makes more sense to me to have them up that bit longer. I don't put that many up now just a few of the things I have made over the years and if my youngest son isn't coming home with his wife for Christmas I don't even bother with the tree. Myself and my daughter are going to Qatar to spend the week before Christmas with him this year so I'm really looking forward to that.😊

I hope you all have a great week 😘

 Linking with the ladies at Slow Stitching Sunday


16 comments:

  1. Oh, how lovely that you'll be spending some time away from this cold weather, and seeing your son of course. Although the snow is pretty to look at I'm not a fan of the winter months. All your makes are so lovely, I particularly like the wreath. Yes, if only we could sit and enjoy our hobbies without other things getting in the way, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I have gotten older, it takes longer to put out all of my decorations and I don't enjoy the process as much. I am starting to donate some of my lesser used items. Your wreath and trees are pretty. I am neutral about a star on top. I am looking forward to seeing you December wedge when it is finished. Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your wreath and those cute Christmas trees, too! The monthly embroidery design is just gorgeous. Did you order that from a certain place? I would love to stitch something like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes I bought the preprinted fabric from stitchdoodles https://shop.stitchdoodles.com/collections/printed-embroidery-fabric/products/a-year-of-doodles-pdf-embroidery-pattern

      Delete
  4. Beautiful Christmas projects. I start decorating the day after Thanksgiving usually, but this year it was delayed by 2 days because of company and I didn't want to get all the stuff out while they were here. My grandsons did help me get things down from storage room upstairs so I could start as soon as my company left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in a total swoon about your embroidery project... amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been busy, as always. I had total knee replacement surgery on Nov 16, so most things have been on hold while I spend my time doing exercises, recovering and napping. I did start a knitted pair of socks for a friend that organizes things for donations. But I just don't have the heart to work on it for a long period of time. I've also got a crochet bag on the go, an embroidery project that is close to being finished, books to read. It seems I just get started on something and it is time to do exercises again. I did most of the Christmas shopping before surgery, even put up all my trees on the mantle. I'm working on putting the Christmas village up, slow but sure. Enjoy your trip to Qatar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore those little trees, but your embroidery is gorgeous. I'm in awe at your neat and detailed stitching. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will be lovely to visit your youngest son this year. Have a wonderful time there.
    The hearts wreath and monthly stitching project are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful creations Linda ! You have been busy ;)
    First snow...Lovely picture ! It's raining here...
    Have a cozy week !
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Time certainly does go faster the older you get, this year has flown by!
    I love all your sewing projects, those little trees are cute, I made something similar for the grandchildren a few years ago. Your embroidery is stunning, what a lovely keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely things you've sewn, Linda. I love them all, but those little trees with cinnamon stick trunks are super sweet. And your embroidery piece is almost done! It is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A trip to Qatar sounds very exciting! You have some lovely finishes, the heart Garland is very nice indeed

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hard to believe December is here, this year has flown by!
    Lovely seeing all of your craft creations, I think they all look very nice.
    Have a wonderful week in Qatar with your son.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Linda, and happy December. I love all of your projects you are sewing especially the tree ornaments. You have so many talents. I hope you enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx