Friday 18 February 2022

Having Fun with something new

 Becki from the blog Field Lilies has decided that she is going to push herself to try as many new things as she can this year and has invited us to join her, you can read her post here.

I think that it's a great idea because we all know that it's good for us to try something new, it keeps our brains active and it boosts our mood as well. Most of the new things I try I have to admit are mostly craft related but there are a few exceptions and I want to expand on those.  I have counted up the new things I have tried so far this year and they are as follows

  1.  Made a square with a c2c chart.
  2. Dabbled in needle felting
  3. Assembled a lamp for the first time (I don't know if that counts but it's my list so it's staying there haha)

Number Four

Who would have thought that cutting out countless pentagon shapes would be so satisfying.  

I was unable to attend my u3a Patchwork Group for the last couple of sessions because I was unwell, although it's called a patchwork and embroidery group we dabble in all types of crafts really which always makes it interesting and a lot of fun too.

The leader of the group was good enough to email me details of  what they were making  and provided me with instructions and templates for the pentagons.  The object is to make little bowls using fabric pentagons using the English Paper Piecing  (EPP)  method.



When I looked over the instructions and realised the amount of work involved I thought no way! but do you know I'm enjoying every bit of the process.


 I didn't think I would have the patience to cut out all the bits that I would need, as it turned out, I was completely absorbed and it kept me totally focused on what I was doing which in turn helped me forget the awful way I was feeling health wise. 

  I was so happy with how this cute little bowl turned out and as you can see I even managed to centre the fabric so that it all looks quite symmetrical, I'm feeling quite proud of myself  😊.


Now that I'm feeling well again and going about my daily business as usual, I'm feeling quite frustrated that I don't have enough time to just sit and play with these pentagons all day.  Everything I was going to do this month has been put to one side so that I can focus on these but now I need to stop and make room for something else, I can continue with these next week at the next patchwork class.



If you would like to try these yourself you can find a great tutorial here  
and on YouTube here

Number Five 

I've joined my u3a Italian Language group, now this is a biggie for me because I'm finding it increasingly difficult to retain new knowledge it seems to take me so much longer than it used to and Italian is entirely new to me.  I was completely overwhelmed at my first session yesterday but I'm determined to give it a try so please wish me luck I'm going to need it. 😵


Have you tried anything new lately?

Five new things so far for 2022

Take care until next time. 😘😘


Linking with Kathy's Quilts Slow Sunday Stitching.

Sum of their Stories Handmade Monday


21 comments:

  1. Lovely little bowl !!!!
    Have fun with Italian language !
    Have a cozy weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once made a small quilt by paper patching hexagons and hand stitching them all together. Where did I get the patience to do that with a family to look after I'll never know. lol
    I have sort of settled on crochet as my main hobby but still have boxes of other stuff that I think I will one day do again, (wishful thinking, lol)
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire anyone who takes on a new language. I remember bits from my French lessons at school but I can't say I ever enjoyed the subject, I just found learning a language very difficult. As for EPP, well that's something new I had a go at last year and I'm still enjoying it, it can become quite addictive. I think the little bowl you made is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No.I havn’t started anything new but I am inspired to try the patchwork bowl.Thank you.I have had three separate go’s at learning Welsh and have now given up.I can remember words from ages ago but not new ones.It is an age thing.My computer/head is full.zThat is my excuse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried anything new, but wish you good luck with learning a new language.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a cute bowl. Well done on learning a new language, it's something I would love to try. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having seen your little bowl 'in person' I can say it is really lovely. You are a very clever and enterprising lady! I always look forward to seeing what you've made. Good luck with your Italian. I would like to take up my Spanish again, but can only find evening classes, which are no good to me :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of the crafts you are making and learning a new language is amazing. I am glad you are feeling better and enjoy the weekend Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Linda! How fun that you're doing this challenge, too. Your challenges beat mine so far! I know it's not a contest. But you do inspire me. I love those pentagons and the bowl you made. I think it's impressive that you made it so the printed
    design is symmetrical all the way around. Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why, I have been playing with hundreds of EPP pentagons all day today. =) Love your little bowl. It looks fabulous with the design centred on each pentagon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops.....I forgot to say I am glad you are feeling much better♡

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful bowl, Linda. How cool that you decided to learn a new language, it's challenging. Italian songs can help you. Buoni studi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that bowl! You did a great job with the fabric. I haven't tried anything new in a while, but I plan to stop work as of the end of June, so I have to makes plans to try new things. Now you have me thinking. So glad you are feeling better. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great fabric choice for your bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely bowl! I am always trying new things, but nothing lately. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks fantastic! It's amazing that this was new to you and turned out so well! Nothing new for me here... same old, same old... but lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute bowl. I am learning French using the Duolingo app on my phone. You can learn Italian on the app as well. I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful bowl, Linda! I'm also improving my English using the British Council podcasts. Have a wonderful day. 💗 🌿 🌸 🌿

    ReplyDelete
  19. How clever you are Linda to pick up a new craft so quickly! It looks to me as if you have got the knack of it straight away. That bowl looks wonderful. Glad to hear you are feeling more yourself. Take care. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  20. The bowl is so sweet! I'm very impressed. It is not new exactly but I've been doing a lot more paper crafts of late.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope you are on the mend now. It's spooky as I was looking at patchwork bowls like that on Pinterest just last night and thinking how sweet they are. I'm adding it to my list on your recommendation! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx