Friday 15 May 2020

Friday Again

When browsing through your blogs I came across quite a bit of scone making going on, now it has to be said that I am a great lover of scones of all descriptions but I think cheese scones are my utmost favourite of all.  We have a Garden Center near by and they make the most delicious cheese scones, in fact to be honest they are the best I have ever tasted and that is a huge compliment because I have eaten hundreds of cheese scones in my time.  The Garden Centre in question re-opened last Wednesday but only for the purchase of plants which didn't help my scone cravings at all and so this morning I decide to make some.  

My scone baking skills are not great, they never turn out light and fluffy like the ones in the Garden Centre, in fact they are usually more like biscuits than scones, added to which the kitchen is always like a battle scene when I bake anything, I used to bake a lot when my kids were small but I've gotten out of the habit, it's not good for the waistline when one lives on one's own as I'm sure you can appreciate, anyway even though it was a bit of a faff look at these..


Not bad at all and best of all they taste ok too, not as good as the the Garden Centre scones but definitely passable I would say, I have eaten one and the rest are going into the freezer before I eat them all in one go.

This afternoon I decided to walk on the beach but I took a detour first to my local greengrocer because I needed some carrots and lemons but look what else I found...


I have been worried about running out of yarn for my Indiana blanket which is coming on slowly but well by the way and so I was so happy to see that they had some colours that would work for the blanket, I knew that they sold a small amount of yarn but they seem to have increased their stock which is good news and something to remember for the future. 



There were more people on the beach today because of the ease in Lock-down 


there was even a surfer.



One of the reasons I decided to walk on the beach was because I wanted to collect some seaweed...


I gathered two bags full to the brim and I'm going to put it onto my garden as a mulch, my brother tells me it's a great fertilizer. 


It's so lovely and peaceful just watching the waves I could quite easily sit there all day.




On the way back home I noticed that Aldi had bedding plants for sale and best of all the queue wasn't too long so I was able to buy these....



 African Marigolds and some fuchsia all very reasonably priced and I know from experience that Aldi's plants are usually ok.


I have sewn lots of seeds myself but I don't really have high hopes for them, they seem very puny I potted on some petunia and pansies yesterday and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they survive.  

So I know what I'll be doing this weekend playing in the garden, what are your plans? Whatever they are I hope you have a lovely weekend.  
Stay safe 😘😘

8 comments:

  1. The scones look so good Linda and I bet taste delicious. It must be so nice to take those walks on the beach! Have a nice weekend and a fun time gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scones look nice, it is so wonderful to walk by the sea. We are going to a birthday for the first time, with little family and take turns. Have a great weekend and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a bit blustery for playing in the garden here at the moment, I hope the weather is better where you are. Those scones look delicious and how fortunate finding a yarn supplier on your doorstep, very handy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda
    I never have success with scones, I have made loads in the past and the kids would wolf them down whatever but nice light scones have eluded me. lol
    The wool find was brilliant, one can never have enough wool in my opinion, though not in Tom's. lol
    I am using 'Stylecraft Special dk' at the moment and its only £1.99 a ball, loads and loads of colours. I get it from the Woolwarehouse and it arrives very quickly.
    As for seaweed, your brother is correct, we used to gather bags and bags of it for our allotment when we had one, and its free.
    Oh to go back to those days when we could dig for ever, lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing your posts Linda, I have missed you very much. The beach looks so calm and peaceful. Stay safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m not a great scone maker either, they never rise enough. I have lovely memories of cheese scones my Dad made. Things are easing a little bit here too, and garden centers are open. I need to get some tomato plants as soon as it warms up enough. I’d be collecting stones to paint at that beach

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last time I checked you hadn't been posting, but now I see you are back. Nice that you were able to get some yarn and plants. We are in full lockdown here. 8 days so far with 12 more to go. Hoping we don't go beyond that since we've already been in partial lockdown since March. Unfortunately reported cases have steadily gone up. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just checked again, and I find you are back! How good--I enjoy your posts and seeing your work. I've been away from my crochet for a while, working in the yard, but I can feel the need returning.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx